The Ultimate James Bond List – From Russia With Love (1963)
Welcome back this month for the Ultimate James Bond List, this time covering the second entry in the 007 franchise, From Russia With Love. As I said last month, the entire point of the list is to allow anyone to compare each generation and actor against one another. Once all films are complete, it will make for some very interesting reading, so get ready to have your mind blown away…or maybe not. Either way, give it a read and let me know what you think.
If you would like to read my thoughts on the film itself, it can be found here.
007 – Each time the Bond theme song is heard.
1. beginning of the gun barrel
2. during the title sequence
3. leaving Moneypenny’s office and landing in Istanbul
4. leaving Kerim Bey’s office
5. checking in at the hotel and during his hotel room bug check
6. after Kyilencu’s death and return to hotel room
7. while heading to the Russian embassy
8. after stealing the truck with Tatiana in the back sleeping
You Know My Name – Bond, James Bond count. When it is said by Bond himself.
Felix Leiter – If James Bond smokes on screen.
1. first meeting with Kerim Bey
Nobody Does It Better – Whenever Bond beds a woman, implied of course.
1. Sylvia Trench in the back of his car
2. gypsy camp girl number 1 in tent/room
3. gypsy camp girl number 2 in tent/room
4. Tatiana in his hotel room
Shaken, Not Stirred – All alcoholic beverages Bond consumes.
1. Rachi at the Gypsy camp
2. blanc du blanc at dinner in the train
Licence To Kill – Every kill caused by Bond himself, directly.
1 – 5. unnamed thug during Gypsy camp battle
6. Grant on the train
7 – 19. SPECTRE agent on boat
Aston Martin DB5 – Any and all modes of transport Bond travels by.
1. Plane to Istanbul
2. private car to meet Kerim Bey
3. private car to hotel room
4. gondola to russian embassy
5. car to Gypsy camp
6. car from Gypsy camp to Kyilencu’s hideout
7. ferry with Tatiana
8. taxi to russian embassy
9. train with Tatiana from Istanbul
10. truck after jumping from the train
11. truck again to the escape motorboat
12. Grant’s escape motorboat
13. motorboat during the Venice canals
I Never Joke About My Work – Any gadget Bond uses in the field provided by Q branch.
1. throwing knife to stab Grant in the shoulder
2. AR7 sniper rifle to shoot the helicopter co-pilot
I Have A Dinner Jacket – Whenever Bond wears a tuxedo.
For Queen and Country – All locations visited by 007.
Yes, I Know, Don’t Tell Me – Any chase 007 finds himself involved in.
1. Bond in the truck with a helicopter behind him
2. Bond on foot while helicopter is above
Ninja Training – Any team vs team shoot out with each team being greater than 10 members.
1. Gypsy camp vs Russians
And so the second Ultimate James Bond List is complete. I must admit the kill count surprised me quite a bit, and I’m looking forward to seeing how all this compares with later films and actors. Be sure to return next month when I cover Goldfinger and the new list is posted.